AD

advertising

translate

Français
Pt-br
English Español Россия Deutsch Italiano 日本語 中国语文

Thursday, September 1, 2016

How to Draw a Cat [Narrated Step-by-Step Tutorial]

HOW-TO-DRAW ANIMALS PLAYLIST: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...
REALISM CHALLENGE BOOK: http://amzn.com/0385346298
SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/markcrilleySUBSCRIBE
0:10
i am back with a
0:12
all in my ongoing see
0:16
various animals we've had how to draw a lion audra tiger leopard fish all kinds
0:21
of different animals this time i'm showing how to draw a cat now a few
0:26
years back i did one on how to draw kitten
0:28
the face was turned a little bit in the three quarter point of view this time
0:31

I'm going to be looking straight ahead so that we can really focus on the
0:35
balance of the facial features well people like to know what size i'm
0:39
working at two in fact i would like to know what size i'm working what size my
0:43
working well with the magic of this drawing tool called a ruler
0:48
we can see that it is four inches from top to bottom
0:52
that works out to 10 centimeters and then I just sort of divided it right
0:59
down the middle there so what's my wasting more time let's go ahead and
1:02
start drawing a basic guideline for the shape of the head
1:06
ok so you can see I've put sort of a circular shape here maybe a little wider
1:11
than it is tall as you can see from top to bottom here just a bit of a gap there
1:15
this line across the middle later on is going to show us where to place the eyes
1:20
and you can see that I've left a gap here for the ears which I think we
1:24
should just go ahead and do right now
1:30
ok so you see the ears are making a little more rounded than you might
1:34
imagine and they don't necessarily come to a real point of the way we also tend
1:39
to picture a cat's ears notice the sort of irregularity down here this like a
1:44
little bit of a wrinkle in the ear at least in some of the cats and the photos
1:48
that I studied something that we don't normally notice until you look real
1:52
carefully but i'm going to go ahead and add just a couple more lines here for
1:56
further defining the ears
1:59
so these two curved lines here and sort of define a part of the head but it's
2:04
really going to be more fur that you're going to see here in fact quite a lot of
2:08
fur in the years later on also hear this is just going to be an area of fur that
2:12
comes up to the really quite thin ridge of the ear
2:17
they will become more visible when we get into the shading part of it let's go
2:20
ahead now though and draw the ice
2:29
so I covered quite a lot of
2:32
here in this step but basically the thing you want to do is get these sort
2:35
of oval shapes to tend to my mind look a little like they're tilted down a bit
2:41
the shape of the outside of each I and in terms of placement and size there's
2:45
about one
2:46
I the space really - between them but to that center line that can help you get
2:51
that where you need of course the cat eyes have this famously unusually shaped
2:56
pupil that can be contracted or dilated and i would say it's a little bit in my
3:03
drawing here a little bit like a leaf shape almost and then I i want to have
3:09
been started to indicate this about black area i'm going to be shading this
3:12
in later on quite dark but there
3:15
as with a lot of animals there's a very often a very dark black area just below
3:19
the eyes i think that the helps with keeping the Sun out of their eyes or I
3:24
don't know what I'll just make up anything
3:27
yes it helps you keeping this out of the right but I was going to try to explain
3:31
this shape here to me it looks a little bit like almost like side mirrors on a
3:36
sports car or something but hopefully that will help you later on we're going
3:41
to be as I said darkening all this and well let's go ahead now and draw i think
3:45
i'll draw both the basic shape of the nose and the mouth
3:53
ok so i tried to refocus the camera so you might get a little a better view of
3:57
this the nose
3:58
you know we sort of think of it as a triangle and indeed it occupies the sort
4:02
of triangular ish space down here but it's rather more complicated than that
4:07
because these nostrils here sort of diagonally inserted into that shape on
4:12
the side
4:13
it almost starts to look like a mushroom doesn't sliced in half that kind of
4:18
thing and then I noticed this when i did the kitten as well that you know we we
4:22
may be imagined a mouth shape that curves up like this on both sides but
4:27
really it's only the central part that is delineated and I decided to go in and
4:31
get the chin in place a lot of this is going to be you know greatly refined
4:35
later on when it comes to drawing the fur and part of the reason why I'm
4:40
zipping through so much right now is to kind of preserved time and allow plenty
4:45
of time for showing how i draw the fur but we're almost able to get into that
4:51
real time drawing i want to do some of the patterns so i'm going to go ahead
4:54
and drop in some of the patterns here above the eyes and into the sides of the
4:59
face
5:07
so I it has to be said that every cat is going to have a different pattern so I
5:11
don't know if you necessarily want to copy this line for line or stripe for
5:16
stripe i guess i would say but there do seem to be you know from one account to
5:22
another at least the ones that have this type of patterning there does seem to be
5:26
a tendency to have a line that starts near the I a stripe the sort of starts
5:32
over here and trails off and then I noticed in a number of photos these sort
5:37
of surprisingly vertical lines in an area that you know human being see as
5:42
the sort of eyebrow area and what I want to do now is to add in just one extra
5:49
line here that's going to help sort of rope off a space where there is a lot of
5:53
white for and then add a couple of rows of dots here that go right across the
5:59
snow to the region where the I guess the area of the upper lip i would call it so
6:06
let's go ahead and get that in place and I think we can kind of stop with all of
6:09
these lines and and get on to doing the real-time shading
6:19
so in this area where the whiskers emanate from there are the surprisingly
6:26
regular horizontal rows of dots again varying from one type of kin to another
6:33
but at least in one of the photos i studied really bold some of these dots
6:38
here but as I said quite regular and there might even be a hint of a fourth
6:44
horizontal row down here on the disk master
6:48
drop that and they not quite as dark again on the photo that i looked at on
6:57
one of these cats
6:58
it seemed to be the darkest areas seem to be up here and it seemed to get
7:02
lighter and then I noticed that this one came this rope him right up until it
7:06
almost reached the area of the nose I think I'm getting a little carried away
7:09
with the precision here this line here as i said is going to delineate a white
7:16
area an area of white for that comes right outside of this this area here
7:22
which I said earlier is going to be quite black so there's this very bold
7:26
the area of high contrast right around the eyes
7:30
well I think maybe one last thing that I'm going to do is to drop in some lines
7:36
for the neck and then maybe just a little hint of where this fur begins to
7:41
appear and then at last we will be able to send old man time lapse on his way
7:47
off to get a cup of coffee
7:50
- man you were working me hard today and then we will get onto the real-time part
7:55
of the
8:01
so the lines of the neck here I think depending on the posture of the cat
8:05
maybe if it raises his head up high this gets a little narrower in any case of
8:10
here we see a jagged line that's going to help me know where to put the this
8:14
massive amount of white fur into each one of the ears but for now let's go
8:20
ahead and move on to doing some real time drawing in the area of the eyes
8:26
alright so let's go ahead and get into the area of the eyes here this part of
8:30
this part around the whole edge the eye is indeed going to go very dark indeed
8:34
but I think I'll sort of hold off on that because it's mostly going to be
8:39
done with a black prismacolor colored pencil but let's go ahead now and start
8:44
working on doing some hopefully subtle shading here on the interior of the eyes
8:51
this is I guess them the iris the sort of colored area of the eye that would
9:00
that fills in the in the case of a cat seems to fill the entire space whereas
9:07
in human eyes you have
9:08
outside of this Irish you have the whites of the eyes and quite subtle the
9:14
shading in here in the photos i looked at this
9:18
the pupil area is going to go jet black
9:23
but i noticed just slightly darker shading near the edge of the people and
9:35
you could maybe go just a touch darker at the top of the whole iris them
9:41
at the bottom
9:45
not one of the nice things about a cat's face in terms of doing a drawing lesson
9:50
like this is that it is very symmetrical and almost anything that I do gets
9:56
repeated just in mirror image on the opposite side and so what I intend to do
10:00
is to flip all you know do all the all those flip side parts of the drawing in
10:07
time lapse and so is to conserve time i'm going to go ahead then and do that
10:12
and everything that you saw me do here i'm going to do over there in time lives
10:19
so now we can start moving down into the area of the nose one thing about the
10:24
shape that I put in here to be to begin with that I didn't really get to is it a
10:29
little bit of a dividing line right here at the bottom that splits the nose into
10:34
two halves
10:35
let's go ahead and just darken and this whole area again i'll be pulling out a
10:41
black colored pencil later on in the process to really you know beef up the
10:47
contrast to make this super dark but for now I just want you to be able to see
10:50
what it is we're heading toward and then in terms of shading i'm going to put
10:56
down a sort of a base layer of grey here i guess would be pink
11:00
if you were doing this full color and again I suppose different types of cats
11:06
are going to have different coloration down here but I did notice in the photos
11:11
that I studied a little bit more darkness down towards the bottom then at
11:17
the top some sort of fun
11:19
darkening things and just a bit and you know you could maybe even erase away a
11:23
little bit up here near the top sister to convey that now what's going to
11:28
happen all across the top here i guess i'll just go ahead and get started with
11:31
this is that there is a pretty intense colouring just above the nose and you
11:43
know we were not quite ready to get into the part related to drawing fur but it
11:48
is sort of interesting that it across the top of the nose the sort of bridge
11:54
of the nose
11:55
there's this super short for it's just um
12:00
you can't even discern the difference the the hair is almost it's all so
12:05
tightly packed and I'm not really sure why the it evolved that way I suppose
12:13
you
12:15
you can get away with fur being long at the outside to the edge you wouldn't
12:20
want to be long here across the nose would get in the ways of getting away
12:23
the eyes i suppose but it is sort of interesting to notice the difference in
12:27
length and I'm just I can't do all of this real time I just want to sort of
12:32
show you how there's this interesting gradient fade as it goes up and works
12:41
its way up the nose of the nose but it went up my nose dude
12:48
no I grow across the bridge of the nose it gets lighter and lighter as it goes
12:52
up here and it's sort of um I guess I can you know i'll be refining this later
12:57
on but you can begin to see what I'm talking about that there is sort of an
12:59
interesting change in color and then across the edge i suppose I might as
13:05
well just continue with this
13:07
it darkens up again over here on the edges of the nose again probably
13:15
changing from one breed of cat to another but even in cartoons in cartoony
13:26
drawings of cats you'll often see the two lines right here to sort of convey
13:30
that shape of the the can't knows it is fairly important that we suggest the
13:38
structure here and well anyway - I'm going to refine this much further but i
13:42
suppose i can right now continue down to the mouth and the area of the mouth
13:49
itself is relatively easy to draw
13:53
there's a bit of shading that's going to occur right here near the bottom
13:59
sort of . of the nose and then just a little almost little diamond shape or
14:07
you know circular shape of darkness here where you may see the I suppose it's the
14:12
lower lip or something but it pretty immediately fades off into the fur of
14:19
the
14:20
the chin I guess it would have to be down here and bother this line that I've
14:26
made a very round and smooth is actually meant to be the contour of fur that by
14:36
the time you get down here is starting to get a little longer so i'm i'm kind
14:40
of redrawing this to suggest that it's for rather than some very smooth
14:45
human-like gym
14:49
we didn't want my cat to have a human-like seen in any case I think we
14:56
can now move on to drawing the ears will get the ears and then hopefully we'll
15:00
have plenty of time left over for drawing the fur
15:03
alright so the first thing I'm going to do here is to add just a little pointy
15:07
tuft of darker for right here at the tip again don't know if this is true of
15:12
every single breed
15:13
I don't want to speak for all cats
15:18
you know I think I speak for all cats when I say well drilling that was really
15:24
bad but I I do find myself having to repeatedly say you have a said this may
15:32
be true of some breeds and not of others and indeed this next part is no
15:36
exception but I did notice that the sort of wrinkle down here occurs and i'm
15:41
going to start shading into to sort of convey what I'm talking about that at
15:46
least with some cat breeds you don't get this perfect perfectly smooth triangular
15:51
shape that the the flesh of the ear sort of bends in sort of wrinkles em for
16:00
whatever reason I'm some of these cats and you end up with this shaded area
16:06
gets a little shady down here and the if you're you know if you can study the
16:15
photo really carefully you'll actually begin to get a sense of the
16:19
you're wrinkling in here in creating this secondary area i'm going to go
16:25
ahead and just continue adding the the pencil gray all the way through
16:32
what you know sort of amounts to the interior of the ear and most of that
16:41
most of this sort of inside the back wall of the ear angus is my best way of
16:49
describing it ends up being obscured by fur that is coming across now when it
16:58
comes to drawing fer my big thing is to pay attention to the direction and not
17:04
just have a bunch of messy random looking lines
17:07
yeah the furthest massive amount of further the grows seemingly out of the
17:14
inside corner of the year here is going sort of largely horizontal with the
17:22
gentle curves to it
17:24
it is quite white and so even as I draw it now i may be erasing a way to get
17:31
back to the White of the page
17:34
sometimes you know when you're trying to draw something that's white you are just
17:38
leaving the letting the page itself be the white and you end up drawing the
17:44
sort of spaces behind so like right here I'm kind of trying to draw the Darkin in
17:50
the back part of the year
17:52
so as to make this for look increasingly white as i said i will maybe be racing
18:01
away and i'm probably going to pull out my beloved whitewash to do some final
18:06
touches later on
18:07
I keep thinking about the whiskers the whiskers are also white and that becomes
18:12
a challenge for an artist to you know to draw white lines basically is what
18:18
you're being asked
18:20
to do but maybe it's just because of the the lighting or whatever but the this
18:25
area there's not so much light reaching the fur over here and so this part back
18:31
here also is getting gonna get shaded in a little bit
18:34
well happily this is one of these areas where i can tell you that the other
18:39
years the same thing just flipped around a mirror image before I get to that list
18:44
of possible just point out quickly
18:47
the direction that these little hairs are growing in up here kind of quite a
18:52
vertical right here in this area where is this line that I put in initially
18:57
again to describe your kind of radiating out from the inside
19:03
from the center of the the face and that becomes kind of true of the fur in
19:08
general i like that phrase radiating out it is sort of all pointing out like the
19:15
face of a clock or something on the fur tends to grow
19:19
roughly speaking in that direction well let's go ahead now and I'm going to do
19:23
in time-lapse do the other ear basically exactly the same way
19:35
so you see the area of the ear
19:39
the complex actually if you're trying to do a faithful in a realistic drawing of
19:44
a cat but it's not necessary to get so concerned with these details i think if
19:48
you get the basics of it you know
19:50
are people really looking at the ears when they look at the your cat trying
19:53
I don't think so they're going to be mainly looking at the eyes and the nose
19:57
and so forth so anyway I think it's time to start moving on to drawing the fur
20:02
and as i said i'm gonna i tried to reserve some space here at the end of
20:07
this video so as to do some of the four real time drawing for is notoriously
20:13
time consuming so I can't promise that you're going to see everything down the
20:18
real time but i'm starting with these stripes here and go ahead and darken
20:23
goes in as I said there is a tendency for the fur to kind of radiate out from
20:28
the inside of the like from a central point on the face and so all this fur
20:35
here which is fairly short at least uh on the type of the breed of cat eyes it
20:43
was looking at as I study different photos you can see the individual hairs
20:49
and so it is wise to make some note of the direction that they're pointing and
20:57
in and begin to replicate that in your drawing
21:02
so I'm getting all that into place here at a little bit of whiteness
21:07
I found in this area near the ear which should hopefully also conveys that you
21:12
know gives us some contrast there and helps to hear you know how it helps to
21:20
convey the shape of the ears
21:21
I think over here where I have a very simple circular shape that's going to
21:26
have to go and be replaced by a more jagged edge that is you know filled with
21:33
indications of the fur
21:35
by the time you get over here i believe it is mostly horizontal
21:42
directionally speaking i believe there is a horizontality to the cats for you
21:51
know it i went back and listened to the kitten the with video that I did I'm how
21:54
to draw a kitten and it's filled with terrible english accents
21:58
so if you want to hear me do more horrible english accents go ahead and
22:04
check out my how to draw a kitten video i will link to the the whole the entire
22:11
playlist of all these various animals in the info box of this video in the
22:19
description and up here between these two stripes
22:26
it seems to me fairly consistent among striped cats in the striped cat
22:31
community they seem to favor a number of smaller stripes here in between straight
22:40
up the middle and i'll be honest i'm just roof
22:45
you know this is not based on examining some sort of pattern from a photo and
22:50
trying to carefully replicate it this is me just sort of dropping in stripes
22:56
willy nilly willy clearly with hooked with wild abandon
23:01
but you know probably there are people out there watching this video you know
23:07
more about cats than I do
23:08
probably because it's guaranteed and they could tell me if there is
23:13
consistency in this patterning i'm particularly curious about this idea of
23:19
there being maybe one major one here another new smaller one off to the side
23:23
and then this sort of patterning that I've been talking about right up the
23:26
middle
23:27
I wonder that is fairly consistent from one cat to another or indeed do you see
23:33
them going horizontally across I have a feeling you down
23:37
I'm just gonna throw it in my my ignorance
23:41
I have a feeling it
23:44
using my intuition I i'm guessing that it's kind of like that
23:49
in any case this shows you the basic direction as we get down here to the
23:55
eyes again seems to me that there
23:57
it's lightening up and getting wider as we get closer to that initial shape of
24:05
the eye so you could almost kind of just my shorthand way I'm gonna try to get
24:09
some gray and hear that is not really showing the direction of the first just
24:17
right hopefully helping you to see how white it gets in this area just outside
24:23
it's like it goes completely black
24:26
just outside the eye and then it goes white again just outside of that
24:32
blackberry and then you get into the more mixed for area i guess now's as
24:40
good a time as any for me to go in and start and continuing this darkness up
24:46
the bridge of the nose and you know as usual I can sort of sense the the length
24:54
of this video stretching out going
24:58
minute by minutes into a longer and longer video and I fear some people just
25:03
won't even click on a video that is 30 40 50 minutes long so i do have to sort
25:09
of rain at in terms of CH showing everything from here on out real time
25:15
but how about if i shift focus on the camera shipped down to the lower part of
25:20
the face so that i can i start to point out some of the shading down there and
25:25
then it may be time to just sort of kick it in the time lapse and move towards
25:29
completion but let's go ahead and draw the lower part of the cat's face
25:33
ok so i wanted to quickly show how this area down here and we had a circle down
25:38
there to begin with that probably needs to be adjusted
25:43
to suggest a slightly more triangular shaped to the jaw as it comes down here
25:49
to the chin and I'm not trying to indicate for here right now I'm just
25:53
going in and getting some gray
25:57
so as to help you see the shape of this white area both pencil falling to the
26:07
floor
26:09
recorded on youtube for all eternity
26:13
but coming up here this this whole basic shape down here is defined by whiteness
26:21
hopefully that is true of a wide variety of cat breeds and not just the photos
26:30
that I studied up here as we move north from the mouth
26:35
can we use directions north west from the mouth . we are going to get some
26:45
shading in here and if you want to really go for the details
26:49
I do believe you can see individual hairs again sort of radiating out from
26:57
the center of the face but very short i believe the fur in this part of the face
27:05
very very short very trim you know when they're when cats go to the barber they
27:12
say please just really keep it real short there across the front of my face
27:19
it's just they can't stand it have it get real shaggy there
27:23
so across this area i had put in you know it somewhat random shape
27:31
I don't know it's me you know based on a photo that i looked at I don't know if
27:35
there's any consistency from one breed to another but at least one type of cats
27:42
and there's darkness
27:44
sort of i'm making it kind of a gray but right along here as I said quite a lot
27:51
of white just beneath the eye and let's see oh we're gonna get down to this area
28:00
where you're going to see the whiskers and I thought maybe that could be one of
28:05
the last things I'm just gonna sort of - in a fair amount of grey here so as to
28:10
show you how you might be able to draw whiskers in here with any racer
28:19
so I'm kind of cheating a little bit here i'm going to refine the shading
28:25
quite a bit later on but i wanted to get in sort of a base of grey here so that i
28:31
can switch to a brand new pencil right out of the box that has the nice you
28:36
know
28:37
untouched eraser that will allow me to go in here and start going across
28:45
excuse me and hopefully you can begin to see how this might allow you to two
28:51
indications of whiskers
28:55
you do want to pay attention to the direction the whiskers tend to go strip
29:02
start horizontal near the top and then begin with gentle curves to begin
29:09
pointing and down
29:11
I guess a little diagonally you might say they're also our whiskers I don't
29:17
know they're called whiskers white hairs of the sort right up here in what we
29:25
would think of as the eyebrow region the I bravia
29:31
region as we call it not nearly as many as down near the nose i would say maybe
29:38
three or four at most but what I'm gonna do later on is used whitewash to make
29:45
this white her still
29:47
I thought I'd give you the option for those of you who don't want to mess
29:49
around with white wash which is an opaque white paint you can maybe get
29:55
away with just using any racer for conveying a little bit of the whiskers
30:03
well I am sad to say that I think we have reached maybe the end of the real
30:07
time drawing i hope you got enough of my point is I'm drawing the fur I know that
30:14
can be you know a contentious issue for some of my viewers
30:19
they're like I got everything was fine until you started racing through the fur
30:23
well it really is a time-consuming thing to do the kind of drawing that I'm going
30:27
to do here this morning
30:29
for me it's morning for you it may well be the middle of the night but to do
30:34
this kind of drawing this level of detail it's gonna take me like three
30:38
hours altogether and i would think and i am not going to upload a three hour
30:42
video folks not the day anyway so i'm going to go ahead and refocus so as to
30:48
cover all the rest of the fur and so forth and even bring in my black and
30:54
prismacolor my trusty black prismacolor which is really just a fairly ordinary
30:58
black colored pencil to darken things and i'm going to do all that stuff and
31:02
maybe just come back to do a little bit of the wash application real time before
31:08
we wind down the video
31:10
yeah
31:16
yeah
31:19
yeah
31:26
all right well as you can see I put a lot of time into rendering the fur and
31:37
probably two hours all together to achieve this effect and yeah sadly you
31:44
can't just show all 2 hours real-time like that but you know maybe in the
31:47
future I can come up with
31:49
finally the video that focuses on forever and creating the effect of fur
31:55
but for now what I want to do is add a little bit of whitewash which is an
32:00
opaque white paint you have to dilute it with water a little bit and then that
32:07
allows you to add some highlights like I'm going to do right now to the eyes
32:12
now of course you could just try to avoid putting pencil there or erase it
32:19
away but with the whitewash you can get real sharp edges to the White that's
32:27
pretty hard to do when you're erasing my way to the White of the page and I
32:33
didn't mean to say that all you need to go out and buy some like wash i just
32:37
wanted to show people the effects that were possible if you did decide to
32:42
invest it doesn't cost that much
32:44
invest I'm going to invest in white wash it's only like two dollars or something
32:48
to get a tube of whitewash
32:51
but as I said don't forget to dilute it a little bit with water well i'm going
32:55
to go ahead and finally one last little bout of time lapse here to use this
33:00
whitewash to get just that last bit of contrast in here maybe on the sum of the
33:05
whiskers and so forth and then i'll be back with a few final words
33:12
all right
33:14
others my video on how to draw a cat please let me know what you thought my
33:18
apologies for having taken so long since the last animal related video that's why
33:24
i put a little extra time into this one I wanted to make it something special
33:27
sort of make up for the lost time but hopefully i'll have another animal how
33:30
to draw video a lot sooner but until then I want to thank anyone who has
33:35
supported me by getting any of my books like Brody's ghost and miki falls both
33:39
of these graphic novels and the realism challenge probably the closest thing to
33:43
what you saw in this video today and teaching you hyper realistic drawing
33:48
illustrating techniques and of course mastering manga and mastering manga to
33:52
always super appreciative of anyone who helps me out by getting any of those
33:56
books but let me go ahead and lay down this pencil
33:59
I want to thank you all for watching this video I hope you found it helpful
34:02
and i'll be back with another real soon1

bt